Wednesday, April 4, 2012

There must be a beginning...

Where to start.... perhaps a brief history of my world?  Or, perhaps better, a start at the beginning of my sewing career and where it has taken me up until now.  The gown above is the first thing I ever sewed, other than a few quilt squares here and there.  I was terrified of the sewing machine.  But a chance to play dress up at the Colorado Renaissance Festival while simultaneously doing public outreach for the Rocky Mountain Raptor Program (where I have been a volunteer since 2005) proved to be a fire under my ass.  I had to learn to sew if I wanted something half decent to wear.  So, a quick trip down to JoAnn's fabrics yielded my first pattern: Simplicity #4488 Renaissance Costume Collection.  I learned a TON working on this project- namely that I could not, in fact, put my fingers through the sewing machine no matter how hard I tried!!!  All in all it worked.  And now that dress is a part of RMRP's collection of costumes available for volunteers to wear since I have moved on to, well, more piratey things.
During February 2008, my Aunt Sheila and Uncle Paul introduced me to a new hobby and passion: Victorian Costume Balls.  She made my first gown for me, I was too terrified of all the bustling and fabric, the task just seemed too daunting!  But my husband and I had a blast, and were instantly hooked.  Since then, I have mastered my fear, found some AWESOME pattern companies that I are absolute lifesavers, and have had a boat load of fun in the process!  I will chat a little bit about some of the already-made gowns in the coming posts, and I will most likely intermingle that with my new project(s): two 1880-ish natural form gowns :)

No comments:

Post a Comment