Monday, October 15, 2012

A Slight Change of Plans...

Hi all!
So, after getting all psyched to make the emerald I have had a slight change of plans.  My husband and I were in Durango at Durango Heritage Festival this weekend and were chatting with a few fellow passengers on the Victorian Dance Cruise we will be going on in January.  That's right, Victorian Dance Cruise :)  It will be epic: 7 days; Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica; AND 3 Victorian Balls during the evenings!!!  Any of you that have ever been on a cruise ship know that things can be a little... tight on board.  Tiny rooms, miniatures of everything.  And my hoop skirts are 126 inches.  One of the balls, the Sapphire Ball, semi-requires a gown with a blue theme and originally I was thinking the  Sapphire and Snow Ballgown would be perfect.  But not with 126 inch hoops!!!  So, a new gown is required.
Hence the change in plans.  I will be making (hopefully in time!!!) a new natural form gown.  Another natural form gown would also make it so that I have no hoops or bustles to pack :)  Enter the Starry Night Gown:
Starry Night Gown
Keep in mind that the original gown, from La Mode Ilustree, was in black and white, so you'll have to use a bit of imagination here.  I am picturing a deep blue (perhaps royal?  navy? sapphire?) in either dupioni or shantung.  Silver lace to adorn the edges of the bodice and skirts.  And, I already found a lace that I love (see photo below)!!!  
Either silver or black bullion fringe trim for the skirts and bodice edge.  White lace for the neckline of the bodice, hopefully I can find some soft (aka not itchy) white lace.  I have some blue samples on order from NY Fashion Fabrics, which has provided me with fabrics in the past and they have been VERY good quality silks :)
All in all, I am pretty psyched about this project.  It will be tight to get it all done in time for January with classes and work etc, but I think I can make it happen.  I will also have to get over this nasty head cold that I picked up, although I don't anticipate that lasting too awfully long. 
Silver Lace
The patterns I have aren't quite perfect so I will have to do some re-working of those.  Not the end of the world, just a bit of extra work.  I'll keep you all appraised as samples come in and things begin to progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment